View Single Post
      11-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #276
Northwind
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328XI

I bought the GT

I know this thread is getting long in the tooth, but figured I'd chime in with the perspective of one who bought the Mustang.

'11 GT, Brembo brake / summer tire package, 3.73 rear, Picked up 10/24/10, $30K out the door.

First Mustang. Wasn't really planning on one, I was looking for a 2003 or so used M3. I stopped at a dealer to try the GT for the hell of it and was impressed. I decided that for the same money, I would rather have the new GT.

I have a loaded 328xi (3rd one) in the yard and love the car. I've made the pilgrimage been to 'ring, visited the factory museum for the big four in Munich, Stuttgart and Ingolstadt. I get it.

What I was looking for was a stripped down coupe with gobs of power and good handling to use as a sunny day fun car and a track weapon, Sadly, that is not the M3. The Mustang was a perfect fit.

While I can afford the M3, used or new, I can't justify the cost, particularly for a track car. The money for the repairs on the BMW out of warranty are crazy. God forbid I ball it up at the track.

From FoMoCo I was able to order a striped car, big engine, big brakes, high ratio rear, period. BMW refuses to offer us that. I have all the luxo stuff in my SUV and my other car, I don't need or want it in my fun car.

Time will tell if it holds up.
Appreciate 0