Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRITIME View Post
i'm still with my old 335 fbo
trying to sell it now...

the problem with the M is i miss the turbo kick
i dont like the drama and the high revs of the s65 motor
If you miss the low-end TQ punch you get with the 335, then stick with it -- The only way you'll get that feeling is with a Twin Turbo or Whipple/Twin Screw Supercharger. Currently the E9x M3 market only offers Centri Supercharger setups, so none of them are going to give you that "throw you in the back of your seat" feeling.

BUT if you want to supercharge your M, here's some data worth considering before you make a final decision:

As of right now, there are 2 kits using the Rotrex C38 supercharger (Evolve & Active Autowerke) and they have the best TQ numbers (that's a fact). The Vortech kits aren't bad by any means (they've power the 2 M3s that have gone in the 10s in the 1/4 mile), but you're not going to get any low end punch from them because of their design. They are internally different from each other (Rotrex = Planetary vs Vortech = Fixed Gear Supercharger) and the higher CFM the Vortech (requires higher higher boost/RPMs for it to come "alive"). Here's a dyno overlay illustrating the TQ values of an Evolve 600 (Rotrex C38 at 6.7psi peak, labeled "Evolve") and ESS 625 (Vortech V3 at 7psi peak, labeled "RunFile") both run on a DynoJet:

Clearly visible, the Rotrex consistently has significantly more TQ in the "daily driving/non-WOT" area, from 3k to 5.5k RPMs. Above 7k RPMs, only one of the Vortech's pulls has more TQ then the Rotrex, but as you can see the Rotrex setup remains very consistent (could be do to Air/Air Intercooling, Evolve tuning or the kits design as a whole).

Now here is those two exact same cars, comparing their HP curves:

Pretty obvious that these cars put down nearly identical HP curves, with the ESS/Vortech setup being rev'd out ~250 RPMs. What is interesting is once again the Rotrex/Evolve setup illustrated its consistency (settling in at 540 WHP) and the Vortech showed some variance (one pull at 540 WHP, another at 520 WHP).

Recap: The Rotrex setup (Evolve 600 in this case) offers SIGNIFICANTLY more low-end, daily-usable TQ. This is an inherent benefit of the design of the Rotrex supercharger and is not disputable. IMO, the Rotrex better accentuates the driving feel of an N/A S65 only with an additional 200 WHP+.

**Another thing worth noting is that both Rotrex kits utilizing Air/Air intercooling (while all of the Vortech setups use Air/Water) which appears better suited to the S65, more consistent, and more favorable for your driving style.

Results >

Last edited by Mit_Boost; 02-05-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00