View Single Post
      11-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #149
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Like what everyone else says, if it is a bearing problem, all this torque bullshit is not going to change the fact that the sound will disappear.
Look here another 2011 who apparently has been approved for a new engine due to possible bearing problems.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457227

I say fight with your dealer for it. I think the dealers are playing up to this one as another bearing issue is not going to look good on BMW at all. And especially after having the main bearings changed after 10/2008 and still having this problem, I'd say you have to make your firm stand as the more issues they are with bearings, the more cover-up. It's absolutely bullshit that some people are getting different treatments and solutions for the same sound.
That's me on the other thread. Good looking out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
Which dealership did you take it to? I hate that I stumbled upon this thread as well. I'm pretty sure there have a few times when I've heard clicking noise coming from my car, but I thought it was normal. I'm gonna have to look into it a bit more now. To be honest, I don't like the idea of my brand new car getting ripped apart while they try different things to fix it. I'm going to follow this thread a bit more to see what others have to say about their issues before I worry too much.

Thanks to everyone for all of the info.
It's at Crevier. The ticking is very distinctive but kinda subtle... totally repeatable in a closed garage when the engine is warm. This is not top end ticking... that's just valvetrain noise. This comes from the oil pan area.

I just posted on another thread... Crevier is waiting on authorization for a new engine. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Those show up in TIS as follows:

11 41 050 is the R&R process for the oil pump (and adjustments to spec)

11 21 500 is replacement of the crankshaft
Really? I think they just noted it wrong then. There's no way they replaced my crankshaft. They just did the re-torque. They even sent me pics where I could see the bottom of the crank, but they didn't even remove the bedplate. Good info though.