CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
I wouldn't even assume street pads would be appropriate for track. I'm used to swapping brake pads before/after events. Is pad swap an involved procedure with stock M3 calipers?

For comparison, my Alcon calipers are held on by two bolts. I just pop off the wheel, remove the caliper, maybe use the caliper spreaders, and I'm done. In the rear (stock calipers), I just remove the wheel, remove one nut and loosen another to open the caliper.

What about rotors? If you use track pads, do you also swap rotors? Is that much more involved than just changing pads?
As vonzoom said for pads. I change my pads when I swap my wheels when I get to the track on my first event of the season. It ads maybe 20-30 minutes to the total wheel swap.

Changing the front rotors can be challenging. The rotor is held in place by two 7mm hex screws that get jammed pretty good. You do need that special punch to be able to untorque them.

I have not changed my rear rotors yet. However they are of a similar configuration than my previous E46. There is a bit more involvment as the center of the disc is used as a drum for the hand brake shoes. It is as if you are changing two brakes at once, a disc brake and a drum brake. But having a seperate brake shoe for the parking/e brake is very usefull, as you can use it without risking of imbedding your rear pads when they are hot .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-01-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0