View Single Post
      04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #32
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Look, I think the OP ought to wait if he can, but this is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
1. fake fender vents
So the one fake hood vent on the M3 is OK? As far as I am concerned, both cars look good, but the 328/335 and IS250/350 each have a cleaner, better look
Quote:
2. fake exhaust pipes
How so? The one I examined at the NY auto show had the stainless tips fastened to the rear cap (nice clean look), with the actual pipes ending about two inches forward of the tips, aimed straight down the center of them. Elegant engineering design, in my opinion.

Quote:
3. cheesy plastic engine cover
Perhaps so. Is this actually important?

Quote:
4. No Lim Slip Diff
Agreed. This is an actual problem, even with software involvment. It's one of the things that soured me on the 335.

Quote:
5. engine out of the LS460
I guess I'd have to say advantage Toyota.

Quote:
6. engine tuned by Yamaha
Thumbs up from me. Yamaha has a reputation in the industry similar to Porsche in this regard.

Quote:
7. Nav out of the Prius
And a very good one it is.

Quote:
8. No manual transmission
Yo! You're buying an automatic, remember? (Sorry Swamp.)

Quote:
9. IS-F has lost every track comparison to date
It's his everyday street ride, remember? His track ride is a ton better than either Lexus or BMW.

Quote:
10. peak torque RPM is way to high (the Lexus engine doesn’t deliver according to CandD)
I'd like it to be lower in the range as well, but it sure doesn't leave one wanting for performance, does it. On the road, the torque converter is a real advantage in everyday driving.

Quote:
11. Average age of Lexus owner 60-something. Average age of BMW owner 40-something
And this is somehow applicable? You're spending way too many of your firing neurons worried about image.

Quote:
12. Its still a Toyota, the General Motors of Japan
Advantage, Toyota. (Other than your precious image, of course.) You know the IS-F will be bulletproof as a daily driver, and you know you're going to know the name of your service advisor's dog before you're done working the kinks out of that new automatic.

I have to say I'm becoming a fan of the new M3, especially the sedan, but the Lexus is still a hell of a good car, and very competitive.

Bruce
Appreciate 0