11-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #122
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
What? Maybe for somebody with an arts/medival art/performing art/lesbian horticulture degree. Starting salaries for technical majors are at least 60K, and that's at a state school.
Those days are long gone. Technical jobs are notorious for posting jobs to college graduates with a laundry list of stuff that's impossible to meet if you don't already have significant working experience. Most tech companies have little interest in people with no experience - after all, why hire a new grad for $60k when I can get someone with 10 years of experience for the same price in this market?

I'm not saying those jobs don't exist, but they're a lot harder to get than people seem to think.

Quote:
Business and finance are higher, sometimes much higher, especially for finance out of a top school.
Most of the business majors I knew in college didn't fair well and ended up being things like the manager of a department store... times are much worse now. Of the 3 recently business school grads that I know two are unemployed and one is making $13 / hour (this second job was better than her first one right out of school).

Quote:
In the last year I've been to a few recruiting events (on the hiring side at less than top schools) for jobs offering 75K starting salaries, and we had to cancel some events due to lack of interest/insufficient signups.
IMHO people tend to have an overblown sense of entitlement these days. I'm still surprised, however, by the lack of interest. What's the catch?

Quote:
I've seen this numerous times first hand but people are getting into fist fights at Kohls hiring events while I have reqs open for six months at $250/hr.
What qualifications? Catches? We have positions at my company that pay that to contractors - I can guarantee you that no recent college grad will get anywhere near meeting those qualifications. For that pay, you have to be a subject matter expert.

Quote:
There are so many segments of industry where companies are desperate to find good people. Whenever I ask people why they don't move into these fields they say "oh, I don't know how to do that." I guess people in high paying fields came out of the womb with their skillsets .
Is the company willing to train? Most often they expect the applicant to have some kind of knowledge in the field... hence "oh, I don't know how to do that."

This is an employers market right now. Competition is so fierce that employers are more than happy to pull the "you're lucky to have a job" phrase right now. They wouldn't be saying that if the market was booming and they had significant fear of people jumping ship.
Appreciate 0