View Single Post
      02-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #60
Duquesne
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i Performance Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
I used to use a radar detector, but found that all the false alarms caused constant interruptions.

My philosophy concerning speeding:
-I never go more than 10 over when I'm driving somewhere I haven't been before. Cops hide in the almost the same places all the time and the locals know where they are.
-I try to take queues from the people ahead of me. Even a tap of brake lights ahead of me will cause me to slow down. People 1/2 mile ahead of me are the best cop detectors there are. As a courtesy to others, while passing the speed trap, I'll brake slightly to notify others behind me.
-I never speed past known speed trap areas. No matter if I'm in the middle of something with another driver, I'll let him go ahead. This saved me yesterday and the other guy got the ticket.
-Let someone else run blocker for you. A similiar idea to the Smokey and the Bandit movie, if you can find someone willing to go faster than you, let them. If there's a cop up ahead, he'll catch them first. The corollary to that is if your the first guy in the pack, or the fastest on the road, be extra careful.
-Use your handbrake. If you're in the middle of traffic and notice a cop behind you coming up fast, give it a hard yank, but keep the button depressed. This will cause you to slow down without brake lights. I've had the cop pull over the guy I was dueling with because he braked and showed brake lights, and I didn't.
-If I'm not feeling sharp enough to look out for cops, ahead and behind, stupid distracted drivers, etc. then I'm not sharp enough to speed. During these times I just lay low, find a fast cloud of traffic, and go with the flow.
-There are only a few places where one can do triple digits without worry of cops hiding in a speed trap. I use these places to get it out of my system, regularly.
-I never do the bob and weave thing. I see a$$holes driving on others rear ends, cutting people off, risking their and other's life and limb. That's just plan stupid and I leave it up to the ricers.
-Keep in mind most people only look in their rear view mirror once before they change lanes, and in that time they're looking for people doing normal highway speeds. If you're setting a land speed record, chances are good they might just change lanes right into you without ever seeing you. Don't take it personally, if it happens. Be extra careful coming up behind slower drivers. Putting on your highbeams for extra visibility at triple digits is a good idea.

The above are based on 24,000 miles on a sport bike with no tickets and a bunch of miles on a Mustang GT with no tickets. I know this is off topic, but the thread seemed to be heading this way anyway...
that's all great advice and closely parallels how i've been driving for a while.

i'll add that, for me, the thrill is more in the "0-60". i tend to get my rush from fast takeoffs which i can do at anytime there's room in front of me and, frankly, i find going over 100 a tad scary on the interstate. too many nubs and too little time to correct.
Appreciate 0