08-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #100
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
The GT2 in Autocar's test was slower than in some other tests. Motor Trend included.

Autocar's test was done on a concrete surface, an abandoned airstrip which likely sees very little maintenance. They specifically mention the surface condition in their follow-up to the video.
Correct, this and almost all ultra high speed tests are conducted at Burlington Airbase. This was true for EVO's GTR vs Veyron where I might add both the Veyron and GTR didn't accelerate as well as expected.

As far as I am aware most other Autocar acceleration trials are conducted at Milbrook, this includes their famous 0-100-0 tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
Motor Trend's test was done on an asphalt surface, Ford's Arizona Proving Grounds, which can operate 24/7 for certification purposes. And it's a high-grip surface. You'll find the fastest North American times for cars like the Murcielago, Ford GT, Enzo, CGT, etc, have all been done at this venue. When MT first tested the 2004 WRX STi and used comparison numbers for the Evo, they mentioned a caveat: the Evo's figures were done on a grippier surface. The Evo figures they used for comparison were from a 2003 shootout done at Ford's APG. In that test, the Evo did the 1/4 mile in 13.08. In two subsequent tests on dragstrips against the STi, the Evo MR did 13.3 both times. When tested head to head on the same surface, the MR was faster than the standard Evo.

Motor Trend also does correction for elevation and temperature. They may also time their cars with roll-out as on a dragstrip. Autocar does neither.
Well this might explain why MT are top of the charts when testing cars.
Appreciate 0