Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Hey swamp2, what makes you so sure it is not billet

"Billet refers to a cast semi finished product. It is also referred to as ingot, particularly for smaller sizes. A billet is typically cast to a rectangular, hexagonal or round cross section compatible with secondary processing, e.g. forging. It can be produced either as coil or cut lengths. Ingots and billets are collectively known as bar stock."

Bar stock is pretty common to get and it sounds like it can be machined from it.

Blake, are there marks on the metal that you can see through the clearcoat that show it was machined? They will be most likely circumferencial along the top from the milling machine?

On the topic of Hardcoat anodizing

"Hardcoat Anodizing (Architectural Type III) provides additional protective properties. They are an excellent choice for parts in "high wear" environments. Hard coatings have a Rockwell Hardness Scale rating of C-60 / 70, hardness second only to diamonds.

As well as being virtually corrosion-proof, hardcoating resists:

scratches and abrasions
changes in temperature
moisture and humidity
mold and fungus
salt spray
abrasives
chemicals
petroleum products

Hardcoat color choices include black, grays, and clear."

Sounds like clear is an option, so things look plausible.
Your right as always....hard coat type III class 2 does come in clear but it has a green tint.

I do think swamp2 mentioned the most important issue. The thing (I'm not sure what to call it) doesn't do anything for stiffening the chassis that I can see. The vendor may want to clearly show the load case by asking engineering. It can only work in tension nonetheless. I’m willing to look at suggestions?

Yet another trinket…..

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 04-04-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0