04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@CEC View Post
Unfortunately, a blind test would be difficult to do. I have a bit of experience when it comes to tuning cars. I have been at the manufacture level of this industry since 1998. (I have read some of your posts and I know you are educated in vehicle tuning as well ) So peer to peer. I have personally felt the difference in the feel of the vehicle with this rear strut brace installed.

Blake, please correct me if I'm wrong. The vehicle feels very different with the bar installed, correct? Not a little. Not "I think it feels stiffer". It really does have a very noticeable change in roll and flatness on the turns. I'm willing to bet that any style rear strut brace, not just the ACS, will improve roll on the E92 M3. It is simply providing rigidity at a point in the body known to roll and flex. This is nothing new. Not ground breaking in anyway, but definitely a worthwhile mod that you can feel.
OK, to be clear such a mod will not really affect the roll much. Why? Roll is governed in order of importance by 1. The sway bar stiffness and 2. The strut/shock stiffness. A solid design strut bar would contribute as well. However, this roll bar by it very nature does not increase the relative vertical stiffness between the shock towers. Christ it HAS A PIVOT - A MECHANICAL JOINT that clearly allows relative vertical (well almost vertical - on a relatively long arc) movement. It does do a better job when the main rectangular beam is in tension or compression preventing the distance between the tops of the shock towers from changing. Unfortunately this type of load is really small compared to the load trying to push in the direction allowed by the system.

Do I have to repeat my statement about how almost all folks, even tuners, vendors and experienced drivers are easily fooled by the louder = more power = faster phenomena? Psychology is powerful. As is basic engineering kinematics...

Once again, do you have the reference I asked about previously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
there is a real quantifiable difference in feel
You do realize this statement is an enormous oxymoron, right? If you have some quantified differences please provide the numbers.
Appreciate 0