05-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #24
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
How available is it there? It seems that many buyers here are looking for an alternative just because they won't be able to get a 1M..
AFAIK all cars coming here are already spoken for. The whole country is getting only 30 cars tops. A guy behind me on the list tried to wrestle the car by actually paying for the full car in cash (he actually gave the money to the dealer) while I was negotiating finance.

Fortunately the dealer was true to its word and waited for my credit to get through.

Getting a BMW here and importing it to the U.S. wouldn´t work IMHO. First, BMWs here are somewhere around 20% more expensive than in the U.S. when comparably equipped. Secondly, we get euro-spec cars which I think you couldn´t certify for the U.S. without major hassle and expense.

It might be worth it for a total BMW nut if you were getting a car that isn´t available there, like a 130i hatch (BTW there is a beautiful M-Sport 130i hatch at a dealer here that they just can´t sell) or an X1. Huge expense and financially idiotic but at least a car like that would be truly rare in the U.S.
Appreciate 0