View Single Post
      09-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
HP Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Wow! That's impressive. A few weeks of street use and two track days (is that right) and the pads are gone? I don't think I've ever seen a pair of pads wear that fast. Where in the PNW is a track that would give you this much wear, not SIR (Seattle International Raceway when I lived there, now called something else) or Portland international raceway.
The pads unfortunately got consumed in a single track day -- really, to be honest, in a 40 minute session. The track at Mission, B.C. is a super short (1.2 mile) 9 turn course that is murder on brakes. Depite being so short, my car gets going reasonably fast as it is supercharged. The reason the pads got consumed so quickly, as far as I can tell, is that I simply overheated them and they completely melted. The sparks that the mashalls saw coming out of my wheel were pad fragmets that were melted / burned off the pads (there was a huge pile of pad dust / fragments deposited all over my rims). All of the temperature marking paint that was on the rotors were burned off, so I know I massively overheated the brakes.

As I noted before, the odd thing was that the pads gave consistent feel and stopping power even as they were melting. For the next track day, I will definitely get a more appropriate track pad.
Appreciate 0