Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfortress View Post
i just went through this whole thing on the same body and same subject matter (although dark photography is a big part of what i do)...

i ended up with a sigma 10-20mm. i know there are quality control issues with them, but i was able to try three and pick the best one. and it's sharp as i can image an wide gets - very comparable to the kit lens (18-55) in terms of sharpness/color.

my first choice after doing the research was the tokina 12-24mm but i wasn't able to try one first and wasn't comfortable ordering online without trying it.

i tried the 10-24mm nikon and wasn't impressed with the cost over the others. i thought it was worse than the sigma i ended up with in terms of sharpness.
the sigma 8-16 was very sharp and i liked it, i just didn't want to go with it since i do use the 20mm side of things.

apparently the tokina 11-16 is the end all be all right above the nikon 12-24, but it wont focus on our cameras automatically. a lot of people said that doesn't matter much with wide angles, but it still was an issue for me.

hope that helps? i know it doesn't. i read 20,000 reviews on each lens and was still completely lost. take your body to a camera shop with a card in it and try any lens you can, then go home and look at them on your computer. good luck!
thanks man, i've been reading reviews for the past three days and still cant make up my mind. manual focus is not a problem.. i use manual focus eve when autofocus is available so no problem..
how was the 8-16? i like the idea of 8mm but my main concern is the bad reviews other sigma lenses have..

i cant try any of them on my camera, no shops have them in Cyprus so my purchase would have to be online and pray for the best!!