View Single Post
      09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
It used to be, when BMWs weighed "only" in the 3,200 lbs range, using pads like Hawk HP+ may be possible if you manage your braking just right. i.e. if you really learned digressive brake pressure to alleviate the heat build-up. Especially when said 3,200 lbs car makes less than 240 hp.

And roll the clock back another 5-10 years, back when BMWs weighed only 2,800 lbs range, using pads like Hawk HPS (they've been around THAT long?) on the same car that makes 180 hp on a good day would entirely be possible even if you don't bother to digressively modulate your brake pressure.

On today's BMW? Good luck unless you're rocking the latest and greatest Hawk and Performance Friction track compounds, like DTC70 and PFC-06 and later. Not on a car that weighs closer to 4,000 lbs with 420 hp to boot, especially once you've learned to actually drive it fast.

Kinetic energy is now growing at an exponential pace due to the constant growth of weight and power, while the ability to dissipate it have not. So the only choice y'all have, is to continue to escalate the capacity to operate under higher and higher MOT.
Good post. I wouldn't run HPS for anything, and wouldn't run HP+ unless it was the only spare there and I had to. These cars are heavy and powerful and need major friction and temp window.
Appreciate 0