View Single Post
      06-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
I mean, mine is buttery smooth in 3,4,5,6 but the lower gears are notchy, especially when cold, and it's killing the 6MT experience for me...
Not that this makes it right, but the great majority of manual transmission cars I've owned have or have had a notchy 1-2 shift, especially when cold. Downshifting to 2nd does not exhibit that, however. You definitely have to shift slower to 2nd than the other gear changes, but that doesn't mean there's a problem. If I try to rush it, it'd grind, no doubt, but so far, has never grinded. At least in my case, I don't care because never drag race anyway. A fraction of a second slower 1-2 shift is absolutely no problem for me. But yes, wish it was smoother. Changing to Royal Purple Synchromax oil definitely helped, to the point my tranny is almost perfect now. I also have a very slight notchiness on the 4-5 shift. But again, 6-5 is perfect. Issue is the gates are very narrow, so if you hit them just right, gear change goes in perfectly. Otherwise, you feel the notchiness. I just learned to live with it in all my manual cars. Don't let it get to you, unless you have a real issue. Many times is wrong technique, like releasing clutch to soon before gear change is complete, and such. I'm still learning on my car at 8,000 miles, but those miles are mostly highway, plus I drive other manual cars, so remembering the quirks of each car is a lot harder . Good day.
Appreciate 0