09-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
In 1st/2nd the acceleration about the same as the M3 though the V10 makes a bit more torque (stock is around 320lb-ft to the rear wheels vs. around 265 on an M3) so you do feel that, but actual performance is about the same. Once you're in third gear it's all over, the V10 pulls harder all the way to the end.
This is exactly what I was going to say. From a standstill, a good M3 driver can easily stick with an M5 or M6 up to and just past 60 mph. Once you reach the 1/4 mile, the M5/M6 will just pull hard and walk you by a car length or two per 5-10 mph. It's pretty amazing how special that V10 really is when you get into it.

I will say, though, the M3 feels a little more nimble and agile, obviously. But at lower speeds, I've always felt as though the M3 is just slightly more active and will react quicker to changes in throttle and steering.

With that said, I looked at an 2007-'08 M5 and M6 that were selling for $50K-$52K when I was buying my M3. The only reason I went with the M3 was due to a small advantage in gas mileage, but also the fact that my car is an '09... Plus, the M3 has been my dream car for a long time. The M5 and M6 are fantastic, but I'm the type who likes to build up to the higher end cars. The other thing that worried me was how well that V10 would hold up after years of normal driving and abuse...

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0