View Single Post
      05-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #93
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
It has everything to do with supply and demand, which supports the notion that something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. You are saying the car is not worth $400k, Lexus's asking price for this car. Well, if Lexus are only supplying 500 @ $400k a pop, and they sell (and then some), then doesn't that refute your notion that the car isn't worth $400k? Your definition of "worth" clearly is in contradiction to free-market concepts of supply and demand. But we could predict as much, because your definition hinges on performance/$ when the simple fact is, not everyone looking at a $400k car is going to be taking it to the track or dragstrip. Hell, there are entire car markets in the $400k segment that don't give a rat's ass about 1/4 mile or laptimes. So long as performance is sufficient, people in this segment don't care if Car A is faster by 0.xyz seconds than Car B on Track 020b.
The implication you're also making is that Lexus are somehow being greedy in trying to recoup some development costs on the project. Based on the relatively paltry revenue raised by this project, do you honestly think they're being greedy?

I don't want to get in a remedial economics debate but supply and demand is an equalizer. A one off loser isn't good economics.
And don't kid yourself this wasn't what Toyota had in mind when they started this project.
And I have never said Toyota was being greedy. I said the car isn't worth the money IMO. This was a costly venture that didn't pan out. It happens.
Hopefully some of this technology will filter down to upcoming sports cars in their lineup.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0