View Single Post
      09-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I have been driving a manual for 28 years and this is a tricky car to get right in first gear when you are trying to drive slowly.
Same here; driving manuals all my life, and this car is by far the trickiest. Not only in 1st, but 1>2, and clutch engagement in general. This is one car I wish it had something I typically hate: rev hang . It should have a hair more, since engine drops like a rock too quickly IMO. Leisure gear changes are tricky, which is exactly what this car likes and needs, but the above mentioned techniques help with smoothness. What I like about driving manual vehicles is you can ALWAYS be smoother, so I really enjoy the challenge of improving my shifting every time I drive a car or motorcycle. As a comment, I can drive a Porsche with perfect smoothness right off the bat, and I've never owned one. Perfect rev-matching downshifts, perfect upshifts, perfect clutch engagement, etc. I wouldn't trade my M3 for one, but as far as driving position, controls and shifting, it's the best car IMO. But everything else just don't do it for me (maybe the redesign will make the Cayman S more attractive, which is the only Porsche I'd buy). Take care gang.
Appreciate 0