View Single Post
      07-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #298
brisance
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2011 AW FR E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The GT4 is not a street car, so why are you comparing it to a street car? If you meant GTS, you can't just convert the Euros to dollars. If BMW would have made more copies of the car, they would have cost a lot less since the cost of engineering it would be spread out.
You can daily drive an E30 M3, E36 M3 (though we didn't get the real version), and an E46 M3. All versions had track oriented editions with TRUE performance improvements. The Lime Rock Edition does not. That's what the author was not happy about. Why couldn't BMW just give us at LEAST the brakes from the GTS? Why not the coilovers? Keep the stock engine to save money. At least that would be a true performance improvement.
That's exactly my point. If you want a race car, get a race car. The M3 is NOT a race car. It is a street car. If you insist on getting a race car, then get the M3 GT4, which is for all intents and purposes, the exact same M3 as the street car but with modifications for racing.

The Lime Rock Edition is just a naming exercise, with a color that is proving to be popular and with parts which may appeal to a segment of the market. That's all it is. I don't see why people get so upset about it. In fact the opposite should be true; you should be pissed off at BMW if your "classic" E9x M3 gets obsoleted even before you take delivery of the vehicle, like what Subaru did with all their STI Spec C editions and their "limited production runs". I remember back in 05 or 06 when they announced one version and within 60 days another version came out with different parts.
Appreciate 0