View Single Post
      09-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
EuroTrip
BMW FAN
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3 AW 6MT

M3 vs. 335is

I understand your predicament but here is some advice coming from somebody who had a 2010 335i stage 2+ (500hp) and now an M3...

The 335 is sweet if you really dont know how to drive or rarely test the limits of the car...For $5000 in mods, you can have a car that competes with Ferraris in acceleration...but if you need to turn, forget about it. Another plus is that even modded to the hilt, you will be averaging near 18mpg. Conservative driving at 22+.

If you are a guy who occasionally visits the windy road or the local track 5 times a year, the M3 is by far a better fit. The truth is, the E9x M was the first car that actually was worth the extra cost. The E36 wasn't a whole lot different from non-M and the later E46 was on the way to worth the difference.

The only things that the 335is and an M3 coupe share are the doors and the trunk...(interior dashboard not included). EVERYTHING else is different...even the quality of aluminum of the cars skeleton frame. Body panels, hood, suspension, engine, seats...everything.

This time, M division got it right and the M3 is definitely $15k better than a 335i...and most definately $5k better than the 335is.

Again, if you're just a putt around town kind of guy and you care about gas mileage, get the 335is... but as it was mentioned before, you will always regret that decision with "if I had only"...

Don't let me forget the resale value as well... the secondary market demand for the M3 is huge, therefore your depreciation expense will be much less on the M3.

Hope this helps...best of luck to you.

Last edited by EuroTrip; 09-23-2011 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0