08-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #74
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Like ^ said. Apples to apples only, new to new!

Comparing used to new is reasonable for some personally but definitely not very apples to apples.
I agree with many of the posts favoring the M3. But, if you are comparing apples to apples, be sure to add at least 20 more horsepower and DI to the 997. (Oh, and don't forget to add at least 10-15 lb.ft of torque-310; which will give it more than the M and will still weigh about 250-300 lbs less.) Personally, the base 911 isn't even a consideration against the M3, but a 375-380 horse, direct injected, face-lifted 911S is.

I know, I'm being redundant, but the M won't likely be walking away from the MY2008 911S. On a BMW forum, the price of Porsche's admission may not be worth it, but there is an intangible with the 911, that makes driving involvement very entertaining. $20k more, is a personal preference.

Even if the car's yeild close to identical performance, the feedback from a 911 may be worth the price of admission. I certainly believe that it is, but Porsche's biggest downfall is the residuals (like someone posted). In the states, they fall quickly in the first few years.

If the M is priced too high and suffers a similar fate, BMW will lose some customers for that reason alone.

For me, if price were no object and residuals were meaningless, I'd buy the 911S all day long.
Appreciate 0