08-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #88
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I can see preferences coming into play, but a passive setup simply cannot beat a well optimized/programmed active setup. (Larry Koch was kind of rolling his eyes and saying similar things when people asked him about performance differences between the active and passive modes). That's why they banned active suspension in F1 in the 90s.
The reason for it being banned in F1 was the unfair advantage it give the human element in a race. The active suspension ironed out the vibrations and bumps much better that the normal setup leaving the driver less drained.

But to compare a sportscar on a race track to an F1 car is apples and oranges, awd was also banned for it's unfair advantage but to say it's better would be to miss the point. Active suspension doesn't feel the same as a well tuned stock suspension, it behaves totally different, I am not saying it's worse or better, just different.

I prefer the way stock suspension behaves on the track, the behaviour and dynamics are more predictable.

The real advantage I see active having over the normal setup is you can tune to suspension for different situations, soft for rough surfaces or firm for spirited driving. With a normal setup you compromise one or the other but remember my comments where for track use primarily.
Appreciate 0