06-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #22
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
LOL...Nice! That's awesome you got to take your dad out, I'm envious! I wish my wife would go with me but she started freaking out on a parade lap...hot laps are probably a bad idea.

I can imagine that it got frustrating. Its one thing to be slow...I'm OK with that. Its another thing to be slow and oblivious. I heard in an advanced group meeting someone say..."Don't be all over my bumper, cut me a break!" Ok...so basically you can just not check your mirrors and have no idea what's going on around you. Wait...aren't we in the advanced group?

Not that its right to get aggressive but still. All should play nicely, not just the other guy.
Wow--this thread generated quite the discussion. It really does take cooperation on everyone's part to make it safe, fun, and flowing out there. I agree with some of the later posts that it's not necessary to be right on someone's tail through a prolonged no-passing section, but on the other hand, sometimes when you back off too much and let a gap develop, you lose the momentum to be in good position for a clean pass when the straight starts--and around you go for another frustrating lap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
My dad would crap his pants if I took him for a lap. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i had a similar incident where a 335 hooked a left after dropping 2 wheels then crossed the track in front of me and proceeded to get airborn 3 times.
Did you post that a while back? Repost or link it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
would like to see the rest of your run!
Here ya go--a few relatively clean laps, although not really at full steam:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
Same thing happened today at lightning with SCDA in one of the intermediate groups, only the next guy coming around turn one, avoiding the spinner ended up in the tire barrier. A big bang and three new body panels.
OMG! Int 1 or Int 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
What I've never understood is the guy in the back going into the hot pit. Unless you can beat the slower guy back out...you'll probably catch them again. The guy in front is the one that needs to go in.
You're absolutely right, but often the clueless guy leading the train is too oblivious to come in to the pit lane for a minute out of courtesy. Depending on the particular track, I've had pretty good success with coming in for 30 sec or so--oftentimes it puts you on the opposite side of the track from the train, giving you a few clear laps in a row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
There is definitely an art to being a good passer (or pass-ee for that matter). I like what bigjae said, HPDE is a team sport. Even in the advanced group in our E9xs, out there often times with some pretty hardcore race cars, you can still get into a flow and rhythm with the other cars, sort of a very fast waltz. It takes overall awareness...and common courtesy. Its a blast when you get it right.
Absolutely. And typically it's much better in this regard in the advanced groups, because everyone is more predictable. On the other hand, sometimes the advanced guys can be really really racy and bonkers.