02-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Definitely worth it over the Apex IMO (Apex is not in the same category as Volk or HRE). I think Volk makes great wheels and I have had a couple of sets prior to getting R43's. I would try to find them used as they all seem to trade around the same price. The only thing I ended up hating about the TE37SL's is that you can't use a center cap. Seeing my rusty hubs got a little old. That aspect would not matter to me for track-only use. You need to buy TE37's (not SL's) f you want center caps, and that pushes the price close to HRE. The nice thing about HRE is that you get to choose your size, offset, and color plus they are made in the USA. I have had great experiences with HRE. They will repair a wheel for $150 (fresh powder coat in any of their standard colors). You can't do that with Volk. You will have to find a shop to match their color which will never be replicated perfectly.
Funny thing is, TE37's are better wheels than TE37SL's are and the SL's don't utilize caps. I have noticed a lot of guys are sometimes confused with the nomenclature of the SL wheel thinking it means "Super Light". It's great you pointed out that the forged version of the TE37 (non SL) is in the HRE price range.

Like you, I prefer HRE over the Volk wheels, especially on the M3.

See you soon Brett.

Malek
Appreciate 0