02-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Thx guys.

Yeah this was done on a stock motor at 900 miles. Currently has 6,000 on the clock. I think the standard ESS S/C tune keeps the stock 8,350 redline in tact. My older dyno runs seem to confirm this.

Even though the new tune didn't do much to increase power, being able to rev all the way to 8,600 RPM means the car is in it's sweet spot a bit longer and theoretically should be quicker at the roll-on events. I have two events coming up soon.

I wouldn't recommend it as it voids the ESS warranty, but is the first step in what is being contemplated as a different kind of engine build. Instead of going the VT3 low compression build route, I'm exploring options to keep a low boost set up but being able to rev beyond 9,000 RPM. That would be quite something.
Not sure I understand why? The only reason high RPM's are used is to allow NA motors to make higher and higher power given there is a relatively fixed amount of torque and power that can be made with a fixed size of an engine which means revs are the only way to really keep power increasing with a relatively small engine.

If you go to the trouble of going FI than I can't really see the benefit of going beyond 8600. Accept for the fact it may sound pretty cool, why shift the powerband to the right and put that much more strain on everything? I guess the question is what is the purpose of your build? Any particular goals or something?
Appreciate 0