View Single Post
      10-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
G.R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
In my opinion the Great Ocean Road is a waste of time in terms of driving but a great sightseeing route. The high police presence, many tourists and frequent turnoffs and sightseeing points enroute make it unsafe and often a pain.

Mt Dandenong I consider unsafe for "driving" as well, many people live beside that that road, it is full of driveways.

I think you found the best road I can think of near Melbourne G.R, either clockwise or anticlockwise Healesville - Black Spur - Marysville - Reefton Spur - Warburton is a winner, with a turnoff at Lake Mountain for a run up and down during the non-winter months.

The highlight of the above roads would be Lake Mountain (but beware of the newer tarmac for the last 5 minutes on hot days) and Reefton Spur, where you will often have half an hour to yourself, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear with not a car in sight.

The Black Spur was great with the 100 speed limit but with the 80 limit that has been there for probably a couple of years now, coupled with the high police presence, I find myself more worried about the speedo than enjoying the road...Those first few turns after Healesville though are probably the greatest bends in existence and in a well balanced car like the M3 will bring a smile to anyone's face!
I had another shot at this the other day and it is quite a drive. I thought the Reefton section was ok and had no cars around but I could never really get out of 3rd gear with the lack of straight runs and all those turns. Nice challenging drive but a little frustrating. Lake mountain was worth checking out. On the way through to Marysville there was an ambulance collecting a guy on a motor bike which I'm tipping from all the signs is very common. The Black spur drive (Marysville-Healsville) is still my favourite. A real good combination of roads and there is definately a few chances to pick the pace up. The next section from Healsville-Lilydale isn't too bad either, a good path to get back into suburbia. You get a good chance to put your foot down where the overtaking lanes begin and there is some nice scenery with wineries on either side of the road.

Any of guys had a crack at track days at Sandown, Calder park or anywhere else?

Last edited by G.R; 10-28-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0