View Single Post
      12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

Test Drove B8 S4, E60 550i, F10 550i

Background:
I have owned the E93 M3 (08) for over a year now and i love the car (i dont track). As the car's warranty just expired a few weeks ago, i thought that i might find a different car. Living in LA has to deal with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic, I dont have many chances to Rev up M3, and i want something more comfortable (still fun) and better interior as a daily driver. Thus today i went to drive the S4, E60 550 F10 550i. (dont want C63 cuz i want a manual). Here are a few pros and cons that i feel comparing to M3.

S4
pros:
-better low end torque(this thing feels faster than my M3)
-much nicer interior(my m3 has the old idrive, so i like the audi's system better)
-more fuel efficient
-More relaxed to drive
-better build quality (My initial impression as my M3 has quite a bit rattles)
-better sound system (Bang & Olufsen)
-Under Warranty
-more space

cons:
-no more open top fun
-chassis doent feel as composed as M3
-not such raw feeling as M3
-exhaust is not as nice
-handling is surprisingly good but still not as good as M3
-does not look nearly as good as M3

Feelings for E60 (m sport),F10 550i
E60 feels much sportier than F10 as the F10 feels like seriously disconnected from road despite that it is stupidly fast. E60 handles better but still feels big compare to the S4 and M3. F10 interior is really nice as the interior of E60 feels a little dated. Overall F10 is really disappointing as the car just does not feel sporty any more and E60 feels a little dated.

Overall I feel like s4 is very likely to be my next car as I like it as the complete package.I know m3 s4 and 5 series are not in the same class, but as I cross shop them, i want to hear some opinions. (Their price all from 40k to 50k)

thanks
Appreciate 0