View Single Post
      07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
///austin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ///M3 Coupe

Overall, I think the build quality is superior. The M3 provides the best of all possible worlds--incredible performance, coupe, interior that is larger than a 911, useable back seat, V8, etc. etc. Not to mention the full maintenance. That is just too cool.

Another factor for me due my age (26) is that I'm actively working and don't really want to be bothered with having to continually take my car in for service. That is something I faced with both 911s. The '05 was actually the first 997 my dealer received so I think some of the issues were related to it being one of the first; however, a lot of things were just inexcusable for a $100k car--carpet peeling off the side door/passenger area (when I hardly ever had anyone on the passenger side), coolant lines not being hooked in all the way (driving the car home after just two days, the car nearly dumped all of its coolant--they literally told me "Hans must have been drunk on the assembly line that day), and then of course RMS. I had to have the RMS replaced once and once I read about all of the issues 996 owners had with multiple replacements and sometimes even engine replacements and I thought who needs to deal with that. Other issues I think were related to early build 997 problems--coolant bottle (or whatever it's called) needing to be replaced in engine area due to leaking, failure of airbag control module.

I think 911s are cool, distinctive cars, but for an every day driver, I like the M3 much better. If I buy a 911 again, it will be when I am blessed enough to be able to buy a Turbo as a third car--that way if it's getting serviced, I don't care.

For me, the answer is an M3 hands down.
Also, it's a good deal for what you get for the money. My '05 997s was loaded, even with ceramic brakes and it stickered at $100k. I've seen some 911s now that don't even have full leather at $100k. I think it's absurd to cross that threshold and to not have full leather etc. on a car at that price. Makes the M3 at $70k seem like a deal. Porsche is also going to the new direct injection engine and some of the current Turbo/GT2 guys are concerned that the new engines will not be as reliable, since the old Turbo/GT2 engines were different blocks than the regular 911s and Boxsters.

Too, it all comes down to preference. I would encourage you to drive both a new 911 and new M3, compare the pros and cons with your needs, then make an informed decision. Also, since the 997 has been out for awhile I would also encourage you to drive a used one with maybe 20,000+ miles just so you can see how it has held up over time. A friend of mine bought a new Boxster S a few months after I got my last 911. He still has his and from what he says, he has to take it in for problems all the time.
Appreciate 0