View Single Post
      10-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #84
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
So I just went on a little drive and then did the 1000-2000 RPM test in the garage, and I hear a little ticking too. Not valve noise, because it's erratic. It almost sounds like the sound of exhaust cooling. My car has about 5300 miles on it (2011), but it drives like a champ... the engine seems to be getting stronger. I have a hard time believing this noise is anything serious. If a bearing was faulty, wouldn't there be other symptoms, like rough idle or loss of power or something?

God I wish I had never looked at this thread...
Me too lol.

I just got back fom my 1200 mile service and I had the window down when backing in my garage and heard it.

I dont think it has anything to do with main bearings, if I shut the A/C off it stops. Turn it back on it starts, every time.

So it could be a few things, a/c condensate falling on the exhaust, or something making a noise with a slight load on the engine. But without a doubt if I shut the climate control off it stops on mine. Since we dont have an oil pressure gauge I have no idea what the oil pressure is, besides a lower end knock (and possible spinning/seizing of the bearings) the only noise that 'bad' bearings can do is reduce oil pressure enough to cause something in a hydraulic valvetrain to be noisy. Since this is in no way RPM related I doubt its in the valvetrain, could ve vanos related, especially if turning the a/c compressor on changes something.

Here is the vid of mine I took 20 minutes ago. It may have always made the noise since day one and I just didnt notice, but like many others I look around close after someone works on it to make sure nothing is falling off

I have 3.9 years and 48,700 miles of warranty so I'll worry about it down the road if its gets worse., I dont think its internal but I could be wrong. Kind of weird people are noticing this after the 1200 mile service on 2011s..
Appreciate 0