01-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #34
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSaver View Post
I do have to wonder though, could part of the noise issue be because it is a convertible, even one with a hard top? I had drive M3 verts before, and a sedan and was flogging them and really enjoyed them. Today's drive was about using it as a daily driver and for me it just was not there. Mostly because of the noise, not so much about the ride. I honestly did not think it road any worse than my 335 did before I got rid of the run craps and went to Conti DW tires. On a side note these tires are truly quiet, have great wet traction, great ride (compared to the run craps at least) and don't lose too much turn in response.
Road noise/sound...

Did you test drive new M3 or broken in one?

I'm aware how much louder new car can be before it's broken-in, but...

Before break-in, M3, simply put,- deafening! Going at 60-70 mph was producing so much road noice, you could hardly have a conversation with passenger... My girlfriend at first hated the M3 and missed our previous 335i... she kept on making comments how much louder road noise was in M3, plus the ride is much firmer than in 335i.

Louder road noise+ firmer ride= M3 can be hated by passengers.

Before break-in, M3 ran at 8.5 mpg HIGHWAY!!! I was shocked to see such poor gas milage!

After break in, or pass 2k miles, M3 is:

-much, much quieter for roadnoise,
-faster, quicker,
-mpg hwy close to 20mpg