View Single Post
      05-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #165
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
3. 6MT vs. M-DCT is going to be drivers challenge on a road course. In reality 10% of owners will actually seriously track there E92 M3 and probably only 10% of those people are good enough so that M-DCT with its "F1 Technology" will make a difference.

4. Most people that opt for the M-DCT are going to be owners that either dont want to worry about a clutch pedal or just like the idea of having the latest and greatest in their M. A small majority, and I mean very small, can honestly say they are buying M-DCT so they can get faster track times.
QFT.

Heck, these should have been points 1 and 2.

Quote:
I enjoy holding the clutch pedal in and revving my engine from time to time (if this is wrong then I dont want to be right).
Ditto on that one. But at least with DCT/DSG/SMG you can still throw the car into neutral to achieve this, with some quick clicks on the paddle. In a true automatic equipped car, even if you have paddles you still actually have to change the shift mode to "auto" to find neutral. Too much hassle to be worth it.

But let me add one other thing to the pro-DCT debate. To me, the single biggest reason to go with a clutchless manual transmission would be the automatic rev-matches on downshift. Don't get me wrong, I love to do the pre-revving myself. But even after years of driving manual I am still by no means perfect (or even good) at pulling rev-matched, doubled-clutched, heel-toe downshifts. I can do everything pretty darn well until you throw in the heel toe - then it all falls apart. Forget it. I usually just skip the break and let the engine slow me down. But that limits your approach speed somewhat. And trying to manage all that while additionally having to steer the car with one hand is really tough. I have never had the chance to flog an SMG M3 but I am pretty convinced after 4 years of driving my manual equipped M3 that I could be much more aggressive, much more consistently, through my favorite corners and S-turns with a clutchless transmission.
Appreciate 0