View Single Post
      07-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
The air filter will stop bugs from getting into your engine, and you have to change it periodically. BMW changes it for you for free every 15k miles I believe, so don't worry. No, the dealer does not routinely pick bugs out of your air filter, they just change it entirely. It's non-reusable. Check your invoice, I believe that there should be work performed on your "air intake silencer" during your 1,200 mile service. That was the air filter.
I'm not worried about them getting sucked into the engine, but I am concerned that if enough get in to the airbox that it could plug up the filter and cause some restriction. In a 20 mile highway trip I've seen 5-10 dragonflies get sucked in there. If you've never seen a dragonfly they are about the half the size of then end of your pinky finger. Now I'm thinking if I do a number of these highway trips or longer highway trips that getting hundreds in there is likely. I'm not putting alot of miles on the car so it's likely that the air filter will get changed once a year or less. I wonder how many bugs can collect in there in that much time?
Appreciate 0