View Single Post
      02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

I find MDM very useful in city situations where the road condition is not always consistent, like midway through a turn there's a lot of dust and I'm pushing it...

It saved me a few times. I think I'd feel that I'm missing something if I didn't order it.

You're worried about MDM being too intrusive (which I belive it's not, if you follow the idea lines at a track), but if you're not going to have it you might find yourself in the situation when you want the safety net (due to weather let's say) but you'll only have the full DSC which will become intrusive.

At the Intensive M School (European version) we drove quite hard on the Salzburgring track in rain with DSC fully on and unless you approached the turn wrong DSC would not even intervene. I know everyone will flame that DSC is too intrusive. DSC is intrusive when you provide EXTRA INPUTS. When you drive hard but SMOOTH it is not.

MDM is a step beyond that in what it lets you get away with. IMO it's one of useful feature of the car, being that it's not designed as a single purpose track day car.

I agree that it teaches you bad habits, but saving your car in one piece outweighs that if you're able to teach yourself to get used to no driving aid when the conditions permit.