10-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #166
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
Alot of people, myself included, say they would get a M3 for their kids 1st car as long as they're responsible. It's hard to say what you'll do when you actual have a kid and that time comes. I talked to my parents about this thread tonight to get their opinion since they already went through it. They said they wouldn't have gotten me a M3 if they could've afforded one for my 16th birthday but they would've for a HS grad present. Like most of you, they think 414hp is way too much for a brand new driver (they think 414hp is unnecessary, period! lol). They said after some real world experience they would've had no problem tossing me the keys to a new M3 when I graduated (I was 17). It doesn't matter if you have a 150hp or 600hp car as long as you drive safely and obey the rules of the road.

I had a friend in HS who would never speed. It wouldn't matter if you gave him a 458 italia, he'd go exactly the speed limit! You can't judge one kid based on what others do! It's like stereotyping a person because of their race or religion. This topic should be handled on case by case basis.
I don't see much difference between 16 and 17. If 16 can't handle 414hp (which s/he can't), 17 can't either. So is 18 or 19 or 20... Start with low hp "momentum" cars. Than move up.