garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Well OT we go...

I recently bought a aluminum racing style jack myself. I did TONS of research based on the enormous price range you can find for identically appearing products. My research led me to find a plethora of horror stories about jack longevity and the availability of replacement parts. Cheap jacks tend to develop main seal problems REALLY early in their life and then have to be tossed. Harbor Freight is known for throw away tools as well. I'd never buy a jack from them and would be darn sure to use jack stands if using one and crawling under the car.

I went with the cheapest jack I could find that had a lifetime warranty AND oofered a full set of replacement parts. OTC - SPX 1532 Aluminum Racing Jack - 2 Ton. You can get one for about $250. Some OTC jacks are made in the USA but I am not sure about this one in particular. However, with the warranty and replacement parts I don't really care where is was made.
I don't trust any jack with my life no matter how much it costs.

FWIW, I know an editor of a car magazine, who recommend that jack to me. I know he's used that jack extensively, and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.