12-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Sorry to have offended you .

Oh, and may I remind you this thread CLEARLY states we're looking for alternatives ? Thanks for keeping this thread on topic in the future. Take care.
Sorry if I offended YOU too. I'm not offended myself. My point is that there's little need for alternative products. The factory ones are among the best there are, so anyone who wants an alternative in order to "do better than the factory did" is wasting their time.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is save money when you aren't working the car very hard, then you do have alternatives that will work. Redline engine oil won't save you any money over the OEM stuff, but a good quality "regular" synthetic like Mobil 1 will save you a few bucks over time. M1 0w-40 would be my choice - when it's on sale at Wal Mart.

As for trans and diff fluids, they will definitely cost more if you use the factory stuff, but it won't amount to a hill of beans over the first 200,000 miles. There's a trans fluid alternative available from Pentosin that's less expensive.

The diff is where I wouldn't compromise. SAF-XJ is just plain good for the job, and while it's a bit pricey, I'd rather skip changing it than use something else. Most diffs can run for a "lifetime" on that quality fluid, so just leave it there.
Appreciate 0