View Single Post
      12-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Good thread man. I'm going to use non-BMW fluids when I change both diff and tranny oil in a few months. Not only do I believe what BMW charges is absolutely ridiculous ($50 for a freaking pint), but also that they're not the best around. And at 8K miles (max) every 2 years when I do it, anything would hold, let alone top-shelf fully synthetic fluids. However, I'll keep using TWS motor oil, at least during warranty. I don't believe it's needed the way I drive the car, plus several months of near-freezing weather in winter (too damn thick), but with many engines with bearing problems and other internal maladies (broken springs, VANOS problems, etc), I rather play it safe, although it's very possible that bearing problems are deriving from that too thick TWS that doesn't start lubricating properly several minutes after a cold start. Oh well.

So let's hear it gang. Please list what specific fluids you're using, if at all. I'd like to know which of the best known brands (Redline, Amsoil, M1, Royal Purple) is best for our tranny and diff, and what specific p/n. And I want a diff fluid with FM already in it. Best wishes for the new year to every forum member, especially health.
Appreciate 0