02-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
What I dont understand is why these people did not just turn the car off. I had my pedal get stuck on my 91 5.0 with 600hp and I immediately shut the engine off and hit the e-brake. Talk about scary. Do these cars also have some lock out that you can not shut the car off while moving? If so that is another major saftey issue they have to fix. This is just sad that people are dying from some faulty engineered device that they knew about for a long time.
I've never tried that before. What happens when you just turn off the key? Does the car just rolls to a stop or does it flip??

On another note- there were reviews on Edmunds about the new Camry (came out in 07 or 08) about the gas pedal not being responsive. There were maybe 2 (maybe 3) out of 10 people complaining about it. When I drove my brother's 08 Camry I noticed it too. When you hit the gas to merge or pass it would lag for maybe half a second and then it picks up speed. It's pretty damn scary when you expect the car to go but it doesn't (especially when merging!!). My friend's Camry (08 or 09) doesn't do that and is actually pretty responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
To be honest though, Toyota isn't really at 100% fault here. The fault lies on their parts supplier of the pedal assembly for cars built in the USA. The cars built in Japan using parts supplied by Denso in Japan have no issues.
I don't buy that. Supplies are one thing but quality control should be the biggest issue here.
Appreciate 0