11-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Agreed....you need to do well in your courses. You do not need to go to a "pre-med" institution. All that is required is that you satisfy the science requirements at whichever institution you attend. Your major can be just about anything....does not have to be a science. However, you can minimize the number of courses you take, because as a science major...many of the premed subjects that are required, will also be required to satisfy your major. The pitfall is...that by being a science major, you will also have to take courses beyond what is required for med school application. Hence, the science courses for your major can be quite challenging.

Now, you would be better off going to the best college as you can gain acceptance into. Why? well...I have sat on review boards for medical school, and now sit on one for residency programs..and we do look at the reputation of the school you are coming from. It is so competetive these days that yes....an applicant that has been able to attain various Honors at UCLA counts more than one that performed the same at San Diego State Univ. when looking at your academic performance. Of course, none of this matters, if your MCAT is poor. Unfortunately...this test is used to screen out the good from the average applicants. I do not really agree with this, but that is the way the system is. So, no matter where you go....you need to excel on this test and you need to excel in your coursework in order to be considered for interviews down the road.

Off the record, UCI is generally considered to be lower on the list..."repuation"-wise among the UC system when it comes to medschool applications. Top programs: UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCSD.