04-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
The saga continues.

I'm curious about the number of instances where folks had this noise and actually had an engine failure. If I recall, the total number of folks who honestly had the same noise is pretty small, and, aside from an earlier member who mysteriously stopped posting after the engine was shipped to germany, there appear to have been relatively few actual bearing replacements and even fewer actual engine failures.

I was one of the first few to notice and post a video describing this problem. At the time I was unable to conjure the BMW dealership goodwill to get multiple replacement cars. But this ticking in my engine utterly disappeared, and I've been driving it without issue for the last 25000 miles. Curious.
I'm in a 2009 and have an odd random ticking/pinging sound when the car is warming up. Sound comes from the front end. I can only hear it in a quiet garage. I always just assumed it was the metal expanding as it comes up to temp. I've not had any engine problems, but I do have a constant valve clacking type sound through the low RPM range and at idle which I also assume is normal with these engines. Correct?