12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I run around 40-42 hot on AD08's on track, anything over that and the wheels get a bit greasy on track. Our cars are sooo sensitive to tire pressure that it is really a personal preference thing. Took me a full year of track days (20 events) to really dial this in for me, but man, when you get that right, neutral setup, this car can just take a beating on track. Street driving I usually just add a few PSI as I will NEVER get my tires as hot off track as I will on. In response to those that run really low PSI and still get high hot readings, have heard that under inflating adds more rolling resistance and the like which can heat up the tires faster and hotter than a higher more proper temp. Just like our M's it's about balance and precision, might take some time, but just another way to really learn/know our cars, just another level of connection, enjoy
Thanks Klammer - so many variables impact pressure (ambient temp, track temp, weight deltas associated with instructors, driving styles and most obviously the track itself).

I agree that something in the hot high 30s feels best on my e92 but I backed into my cold pressure the old fashioned way....ran sessions and released hot air until I got it to the right feel (about 38-40 hot psi). Then let her cool off over night and tested cold in the am (actually TPS went off before I even got out of the parking lot)....22 cold on all 4 corners.
Appreciate 0