View Single Post
      07-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
If you're still in the free maintenance period the dealer will charge you for a change if the service indicator does not say you're ready for one. It's still worth it though.

Don't go anywhere else for oil than the dealer. Nobody else has Castrol 10W60. At least that I know of. Can anybody confirm first hand another place besides a BMW dealer that does?

Cheers.
Two quick points.

1. Agree that BMW is balancing cost in the equation. If you're driving it hard and plan on keeping the car, getting an interim oil change between the free ones probably isn't wasteful. I drove a CLK430 in the late 90s that had a long extended oil change interval. There was a class action suit after some engine damage and all engine warranties were extended to 100K. So they don't always get it right.

2. While I wouldn't say the oil is in every 7-10, it's not hard to get on line (do a search). I bought some just to top it off if need be. Usually cheaper than the dealer too.

No reason you can't buy the oil and filter and DIY or have a good indy shop do it. Not rocket science. IF you opt to do this remember NOT to reset the service indicator and your march toward the free one will continue. If you keep reseting it, you'll be paying for them yourself. Also not a bad idea to factor in the annual oil change option. Regardless of mileage, you rate new oil once per year.
Appreciate 0