Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
I found this thread on a search and it has proven to be most useful and also kind of what I expected. I was thinking of this mod on the m3 but given my experience on my s2000 and other cars, I expected this problem here too.

Let me chime in a few things:

a) When you do the differential mod, there is ALWAYS a trade off - simple engineering and math basics.

b) What you think you gain in "feel", you lose elsewhere in mileage, early shifting, more noise and chatter....

c) I did the diff/gear mod on my s2000 and found myself shifting much more often and on highway speeds it was ridiculous - I was going only 70 mph and the RPM's were in the 4000k range! The s2000 is already a loud car and doing this mod made it even worse.

I know the m3 is a more refined car but the side effects will be the same....

Guess I'm passing on this mod!
Comparing the 4.10 mod in the M3 to some unstated ratio change in a S2000 is faulty logic. Just because you overdid it in your S2000 doesn't mean that this is a bad mod in an E92 M3.

There is NO CHATTER added with the 4.10FD. Noise increase is moderate enough that my wife doesn't notice it. Gas mileage change is proporsional to the ratio change.

If you're looking for better mid-gear response below 90-mph or if you plan to autocross a 6MT and it's legal in your class, this is a good mod, particularly if you combine it with an 8600-rpm redline.

If you want to decrease your 1/4-mile time, then this may not be a good mod, because it'll add a shift near the end of your run, unless can raise the redline enough.

It's not for everyone, for sure, so consider your usage before jumping on it.

Dave