Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundown View Post
Looks awesome.

You and Kevin have inspired me to build my own.

Picked up a low mile 325i and a donor M3. Both arrive at Ace Performance in mid-December.

Replacing all wear parts with OEM, bearings will be WPC treated and am going OEM Motorsport on the rotors pads. Raided ECS Cyber Monday sale and picked a bunch of their full refresh kits (cooling, bushings, shims, etc.) and a full SuperSprint stepped header-> stepped sport cat section 1 -> resonated section 2 set up.

I noted that you ran the stromung - sounds like you weren't a fan. I had reached out to order one but am not a bit concerned given the noise issue you described. With the full SS, I imagine mine will be even louder. I don't mind rasp, but I don't want something too loud.

How's the e36 set up with the euro headers?
Sounds like you're going to have a kick ass setup, there!

I haven't installed the euro headers yet (I'm going to do the head gasket preventative this winter (as she'll be rolling over 200,000 miles), the headers have to come off for that job, I didn't feel any need to do it twice), but I don't expect the OE euro headers/cats to be notably louder than the US headers with integrated cats. The euro e46 m3 didn't get a different section 2/muffler to accommodate extra noise, and it wasn't louder than the US car.

Anyway, to answer your question, the volume level is perfect for what I'm using the car for-- it sounds like, and has the volume level of, a stock e46 M3 coupe.

I will say this, from experience-- the SS section 2 adds a ton of volume. When I went added that part to my car, the stock M3 muffler became too loud/droney for me. I went to the SS street to get the volume levels/drone back under control. Your full SS setup with the Stromung will be... well, crazy loud. It'll sound awesome, but your neighbors will hate you, the police will hear you before they see you, and you probably will get black flagged for noise violations at some tracks. If you don't want something too loud, I'd look elsewhere for the muffler.

.... and if you're using the stock e36 m3 muffler like I did, the SS section 2 won't work without additional modification/fabrication-- it's a single 3" pipe where you'd need to mate it to the e36 muffler's duel pipes.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0