View Single Post
      12-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #284
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Jeez, speaking of comical, the last time I mentioned you thought the Merc people were lying, you got all huffy in your denial. Now, you're out in the open with it.

Furthermore, to state that marketing people publish whatever specs they want is nonsense. That may in fact be true in one of, say, 100 companies, but the other 99 just publish the specs, and either put flowery words around them (the way BMW and Mercedes have), or not.

Ridiculous.

Furthermore, it is very reasonable to assume that both BMW and Mercedes published their respective engine weights under Euro rules - whatever they are.

Of course, my love of tweaking aside, it's also very reasonable to assume that the Merc weighs more than the bimmer.

So why does the Merc appear to weigh less than the bimmer?

Well, in the absence of anybody on here who is knowledgeable of the rules, one reason could be that the bimmer weight includes that dual-mass flywheel (because that's the only way it's built), while the Merc includes its flexplate, because that's the only way it is built.

So the Merc gets maybe a thirty pound break, statwise.

OK, maybe all the faithful can finally get a good night's sleep.

Lastly, all those who think BMW uses its own standards instead of Eurospec or SAE standards for published specs (thereby negating horsepower ratings, torque ratings, engine weight, vehicle weight and all others) please raise your hands.

Anyone? Anyone?

Didn't think so.

Bruce

PS - So does the Merc engine weigh more than the bimmer or not? Now, the answer is either, "yes, but..." or "no, but...".

Cool.
Hmm, a quick look at this page (http://www.worldcarfans.com/2070322....gine-in-detail) would be enough to read "weight to BMW standard", so here I am and raise my hand. Hard to argue with that, isn't it?

BTW: I found an German Merc/AMG forum which seems to have quite knowledgable information and the common sense there is that the M156 engine comes in at 223kg (explicitly stated for the CLK version).

So we all still think the Merc engine is lighter?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0