03-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #71
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Not sure even now what your point is, other than to rant, of course. You're showing a tinge of OCD on the topic.

It takes two to tango...

Quote:
Again, and as others have pointed out to you, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Two pedals. It shifts itself or lets you shift it. Just like the 1941 Oldsmobile.
You can use whatever down home country boy expression you like, it does not make you right.

Quote:
AHA! And here it is! It's the STIGMA that drives you!

Wow. If your ego is that brittle...
Always the diversion away from the topic and over to some pseudo/pop psychology meta post BS from you...

I fully embrace my personal choice and don't worry at all what that says about me. I like to debate issues from the technology and the performance to the naming. No ego really involved.

It is the engineering inside of the units that drives part of my passion. As well as the real world manifestation of the designs. The way that the feel informs you of what you are driving.

I also love beating up on luddites...

Quote:
For me, there is no stigma attached to automatics, and in fact, it's clear that for most uses, they're better performers than sticks - including the DCT and PDK autos, of course. I've been interested in the development and application of automatics ever since Jim Hall beat up on everybody in Can Am racing in his two speed (Powerglide) Chaparral more than forty years ago.
Traditionally automatics have been terrible in efficiency and terrible for road racing. You can come up with any isolated anecdote you like. Modern road racing uses manual, sequential manuals and dual clutch manuals in the vast majority of cases. The control is reason #1.

Quote:
Now, automatics (of various technologies) have come of age, and they'll continue to improve. Sticks won't.
Pretty much agree.

Quote:
I personally enjoy shifting, but sooner or later...
Ahhh yes, EGO, EGO, EGO. You need to make the distnction between what you like an what others like... I kid, I am playing your part.

Quote:
there appear to be persistent (though fairly minor) problems at low speeds. "Clunky" is a word used fairly often in this forum.
Whatever. It persists. From my point of view, this is a BMW problem, rather than an indictment of the technology, as the VAG folks never had problems as deep or as long.
I still deny this is any sort of problem. Sure you hear the thing, it is a manual after all on the inside! However, that doesn't make it clunky. Your bias here is pretty obvious. Go drive a new or fully updated unit to form a more accurate opinion. Reading the forums always biases one toward finding the enthusiast with the rare problem. I think you know that. Also quantitatively the number of threads and posts on DCT issues are literally down 1 or more orders of magnitude. Why because all the small (but annoying) glitches have been worked out.

Lastly can you humor me and name the VAG forum(s) you have followed and how closely you have followed them and for which of the plethora of VAG DSGs you have gathered evidence for to make that conclusion? I thought so.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0