View Single Post
      04-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #972
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

P1et have you ever been to La Traviata? If you're a fan of spaghetti carbonara, I personally think they have the best rendition of carbonara in Austin.

Here's the kicker - they actually don't make their pastas in house. From what I can tell, they use cheap, $1 store bought pastas from HEB. However despite that fact, the sauce is really well done and the pasta is still cooked to a perfect al dente. Their subtle use of lemongrass is absolutely masterful.

Personally I always get it without the egg yolk but it's probably good either way.

Sagra used to have my favorite carbonara dish back when they were at their old location on San Antonio st. They made their pasta in house, and they used a wonderfully fatty guanciale where they rendered the fat into the sauce.

Since moving to their new location, they use simple pancetta and the sauce isn't quite the same, but it's still O.K. It's probably worth a try.

Do not get their pasta "il grosso." It's absolutely inedible.

Sagra offers their Carbonara during brunch on Sundays for $12, while La Traviata offers their Carbonara for dinner every night @ $15.

Personally, I think the carbonara at La Traviata is overpriced for the portion size which is a little irritating, but the flavor is wonderful and most yelpers and google reviewers rave about it. Sagra used to be slightly overpriced @ $10 per carbonara dish, but they've increased the price to $12 because they're really struggling to make ends meet as a restaurant. They may not be open 1 or 2 years down the road, so try it while you can!

Blue Dahlia is next on my list whenever I get some free time.
Appreciate 0