03-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post
Mine is an '09. I attached some pictures below. I would not recommend EDC. You run into problems later if you want to lower the car or install coilovers. Put that $1000 toward an exhaust. Also the BMW driving instructors will always tell you the car is the fastest around the track in normal mode which is the way the car is setup without EDC. So.. If you like the Le Mans blue (which is my second favorite color) go check it out.
I strongly disagree with this. I was on the fence about EDC when ordering, but I decided to go with it. I'm now convinced it's one of the best options on the car. I usually drive around town in "comfort" mode, and my M3 w/ 19" wheels is far more comfortable than my gf's 335 w/ sport pack. When I'm doing some fun canyon drives or cruising down the freeway at higher-than-typical speeds, I switch into Normal and get better road feel & handling.

I've been the to BMW racing school and the instructors DO tell you to put it in Normal, but that's because "Normal" in an EDC-equipped car is a continuously adaptive/active suspension that constantly adjusts itself based on several factors. If the front tire hits a bump, the rear shock prepares itself for the same bump before the rear tire hits it.

Only SPORT mode in EDC is like the stock suspension with a lowering kit or stiffer springs (i.e. it is simply stiff with no real-time adjustments). Other than "feeling" more boy-racerish, it's actually slower, and the BMW racing instructors will tell you that too.

Sorry for the slightly OT rant, but don't want misinformation to be spread.

Good luck w/ your search! BTW, if you use one of the salespeople who is a board sponsor on Bimmerfest, you can get a better deal on a new M3 than what your describing above.
Appreciate 0