01-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #33
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
First, I agree with what you're saying that you can get a 335 now, spend some cash on it and have a killer car that handles well and goes fast. Although you have underestimated the cost of some components IMHO, and left some things out (such as a turboback or catback exhaust). Even so, I think it'll still be less than the M3, by how much, is harder to say.

With that being said, Modded vs. Stock is completely unfair. I've driven/owned many modded and unmodded cars and the ownership experience is completely different.

Also, if the E46 is an indicator, the E9x M3 will have a stiffer chassis than the E46. Also, given the weight of the 335 it is also plausible that the E92 M3 will weigh less than the 335.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be claiming that a modded 335 is going to beat an E92 M3 @ 10K less until the M3 is out.

-Adam
There is no doubt the ownership experience between a modded car and stock car will be quite different. It is a different type of buyer who is interested in doing mods to make their car look better, go faster, or just be different. Up until the 335i, buyers who wanted a high performance 3-series had NO other choice than to get the M3. You could only gain minimal HP with N/A inline 6 powerplants, and by the time you go the FI route you might as well have just bought the M3. Now that the 335i has twin turbos and lots of HP to start, AND presumably the M3 will be even more expensive (upper $50s base price) this leaves a lot of room for tuning the 335i to match the M3.

I'd say that installed an LSD will cost $4K, the XEDE reflasher will be $1.5K, exhaust will be $1.5K, suspension will be $1.5K - 2K, and a set of lighter and better looking wheels and tires will run $4K, and maybe a bigger oil cooler for $500. So for $13K you have a 380 - 400 HP 335i that will be competitive with an M3 (assuming it comes in with around 420Hp and 3600 lbs) for at least $5K less. Again, the M3 with be great and this is the way most folks will choose to go. But for those who can't wait, or want to have something a bit different than an out-of-the-box M3, the 335i has great potential.
Appreciate 0