swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Swamp,

Not meaning to disagree, but a lot of the alleged advantages of ceramics (namely longevity and resistance to warpage) have not been borne out in practice for some manufacturers at least.

Carbon ceramics are not the be all end all that they are made out to be. Look at Porsche. Huge problems with rotor life, ironically when tracking which is supposed to be the environment they are designed for. Lots of horror stories of carbon rotors cracking after 2-3 track days. Loads of Gt3 owners have [down?]graded to steels, due to this issue and then re-fit the carbons when selling the car. Alcon in particular, offer an aftermarket rotor that works with the OEM pistons that come with the ceramics, just for this issue.

That coupled with the fact that the replacements are hard to obtain and cost a fortune, means that IMO they are for bragging rights only.

Mick
Good input. Disagree at will! I always like your posts.

I have heard some horror stories about these brakes rotors. It could be manufacturing issues, quality issues or a variety of other factors. I don't think it is the norm though, but that is mostly a guess. Do you think it is truly the norm? I do believe the material is an amazing one and it has been used very successfully in aerospace brakes, racing brakes and other tortuous industrial applications. There are always some growing pains when switching from very well understood materials in specific applications to very different materials for the same application. Many industries experienced a lot of growing pains moving from metallics to composites (like cabon fiber) for structural applications. This switch will have some of the same growing pains.
Appreciate 0